[racket] overlay and overlay/xy

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 31 07:07:10 EST 2011

I've been bothered by overlay/xy for a long time, and as Don says, I
often find it easier to just plug in numbers and nudge them until
they're right than to figure them out from first principles (let's
see... it lines up the center of this image with the top-left of that
one?  Or the other way around?  And which one is going on top?  And
which one is being offset?)  If _I_ would rather use trial and error
than first principles, my students will lean even more in that
direction.

I find place-image more intuitive and easier to use.  Perhaps this is
because the typical use of place-image is to place a small picture
within a large, unchanging "background", so using the center of the
former and the top-left of the latter makes sense.  The typical use
of overlay/xy is different -- two images of comparable sizes, not
cropping either one to the other -- so simply porting the same
convention to overlay/xy might not work.

Backwards compatibility is an issue -- although perhaps not a big
one, since overlay/xy is a pain to use so there may not be all that
many uses of it.  (It's mentioned in my textbook, but not used very
much.)  If overlay/xy is "fixed", I would suggest giving it a new
name like "overlay/offset".

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu