[racket] (string? "c'est ne pas une string")

From: Philippe Meunier (meunier at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 25 06:34:13 EST 2011

Robby Findler wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Vincent St-Amour <stamourv at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> How about "Ceci n'est pas une string."? That's closer to correct
>> grammar, and the joke is still easy to understand.
>
>Would the Académie française approve of this joke?

My guess would be that, yes, probably they would approve of it,
considering the facts that:
a) French people use the English word "string" fairly frequently
(though the meaning of that word in French is slightly different from
the usual English meaning; do a search on
http://www.google.fr/imghp?hl=fr if you really want to know)
b) the Academie is essentially an old gentlemen's club, who are
probably not above enjoying a slightly risque polylingual joke (one
now-deceased academicien, Jean Dutourd, was after all well known for
singing ribald songs on national radio).

(alas, "string" in French is actually a masculine noun, while in
Mr. St-Amour's sentence above "une string" implies that "string" is a
feminine noun, but we'll just invoke poetic license)

Unfortunately the latest version of the Academie's dictionary
currently only covers the letters from "a" to "p" so we'll have to
wait a little bit more to know whether they actually approve of the
word "string" or not (they started working on that latest version of
the dictionary in 1986, so don't hold your breath...)

Philippe

Posted on the users mailing list.