[racket] webcam hooks in racket?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Jan 11 06:51:57 EST 2011

Noel Welsh wrote at 01/11/2011 05:31 AM:
> Then depending on the platform and webcam different APIs are available.

Yeah, webcam support has always been a mess, on all platforms.

If you're on GNU/Linux, I'm not sure of the current best approach, but I
guess would probably start with Linux UVC and some popular, high-quality
USB camera that is supported by UVC.  http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/

I'd have the compatibility list on that page in one hand, and Newegg.com
in the other hand.  And before buying, I'd do a quick Google for the
make&model and "linux" and "uvc" to see if anyone is reporting
problems.  It happens.

You could also do eBay, where I recall there have been some sweet spots
of premium cameras that are supported well by Linux but that are
inexpensive now.  (Sorry, I don't remember particular models anymore.)
One of the nice things about slightly-older devices is that there's been
time for Linux device support to be implemented and tested.

If you're using a less-popular slightly-older camera, beware that some
manufacturers have made engineering changes to their cameras without
changing the model number, sometimes breaking drivers that have been
reverse-engineered.  Compatibility tables might not be aware of the
multiple variants -- sometimes someone just reported that a particular
model worked (perhaps with a small patch for the ID or something), so
that model would marked as supported in the table, without any awareness
that there are multiple variants.

Posted on the users mailing list.