[racket] Scribble experience

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Mon Jan 10 04:38:55 EST 2011

Hi All,

I am in the process of writing a small geometry book using Scribble.
So far I am pleased with the results.

The html version is available here:

    http://jensaxel.dk/1x/geometribogen/

    Username: racket
    Password: racket

The html version uses MathJax to display the mathematical equations.

The figures were produced by asymptote, which is a small language
inspired by MetaPost. It was quite easy to write a Scribble command
@asymptote that first calls asymptote in the background and then inserts
the resulting image(s).

Overall Scribble has been pleasant to use. However there are some
small issues when the goal is to produce both pretty formatted html
and pdf documents from the same source.

Some of these problems occur due to the different resolutions of
paper and screen. An example:

The cover image is a large png, which must be scaled down in the html version:
    @centered{@image["../billeder/Forside-Arkimedes.png" #:scale 0.50]}

In the pdf version the 50% scaling makes the image very small. So here
    @centered{@image["../billeder/Forside-Arkimedes.png"]}
works better.

Another small issue (for me): Since Asymptote is used to produce the
geometric figures, I can produce both a pdf and a png version of each image.
I was expecting/hoping that the Scribble would pick the pdf version
when the output format is pdf and png when the output format is html,
but Scribble AFAIR just picks one. It turned out to be happy coincidence
though - I discovered that modern browers can display pdfs inline - which
means that the user can zoom in on the geometric figures with no problems.
(But still it requires a modern browser)

--
Jens Axel Søgaard