[racket] Extending the Racket GUI with native widgets

From: Thomas Chust (chust at web.de)
Date: Wed Jan 5 13:08:47 EST 2011

2011/1/5 Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu>:
> At Wed, 5 Jan 2011 18:04:26 +0100, Thomas Chust wrote:
> [...]
>> And even if I manually resize, show and redraw the widget using calls
>> of wrapped GTK+ functions at the REPL, it still doesn't show up in the
>> GUI.
>
> Can you send an example?
> [...]

Hello Matthew,

thank you for your help!

An example is attached to this message. Open and run the module in
DrRacket, and try the following interactions:

  ;; Open a new frame% titled "Test" which contains a button-panel%
  ;; with an embedded native GTK+ button, return the panel object:
  (define panel (go))

  ;; Determine the current allocated size of the button in the panel:
  (send panel button-size)

  ;; Adjust the size of the GTK+ button embedded in the panel to that
  ;; of the panel and explicitly requests a redraw of the button:
  (send panel button-resize+redraw)

On my machine running Linux and DrRacket version 5.0.99.6 the frame
appears empty all the time, even after explicitly requesting a resize
and redraw operation.

Even though on-size is overridden in the button-panel% class and
forwards the change of size to the native GTK+ button, the allocated
size of the button does not change if the window is resized.

Ciao,
Thomas