[racket] Graphical Toolkit change question

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 25 07:54:32 EST 2011

Ok, but to be clear, you need both `on-paint' and transparency for
panels, right? Transparent panels can group and hide controls, but you
need `on-paint' to draw a background in the first place.

It turns out that transparency more or less falls out of supporting
`on-paint' for panels, so I'll work on both.

At Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:30:44 +0100, "Christophe Vandenberghe" wrote:
> That is indeed my problem. I am using Win32 and panels take the same color as
> their parent. That is why I could never make something like a background panel
> with another panel on top that is the same size as the background and only
> contains for example one button centered in the middle (a.k.a a menu). This
> would make it easy to be able to hide that "menu" and show another one when the
> button is clicked. But since the panels take the same color as their parent (in
> this case the frame), the overlaying panel hides the background panel.
>
> The only workaround I have found is to use a container panel for each of these
> "menus" that on their own contain the background and then a pane (as panes do
> show transparent, but cannot be removed unless it's parent is removed)
> containing the menu. That way I can always show and hide the container panel
> and create a navigation between menus. The huge problem with this approach is
> that the background has to be loaded and inserted for each of the menus
> separately instead of just once in the main frame.

Posted on the users mailing list.