[racket] Multiplying by 0

From: Joe Marshall (jmarshall at alum.mit.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 15 12:52:31 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> Yeah, floating point is approximate.

To be very precise and pedantic, floating point consists of two things:
  1.  A selected set of rational numbers along with an associated
      representation.
  2.  A variety of well-defined mathematical operations on this set
with the constraint
      that the result of the operation must produce a representable
      number that is mathematically correct if possible, or, depending
      on the rounding rules, the representable number closest to the
      mathematically correct answer.

The `approximation' is in the operations, not in the numbers.  This implies
the property that any floating point number (that is, a floating point object
that represents a number.  The weird things like infinities and NaNs don't
count.) can be converted to a rational and back without loss of information
(or `gain of information' --- additional unwarranted bits of precision)

If the *number* were approximate, there would be ambiguity about which
rational it represented.

> That said, it actually provides an
> exact value

Exactly correct!

> which the user hopes is close to the intended value, but
> floating-point makes no attempt to assign bounds on how close the answer
> is.

Who knows what the user hopes?  A reasonable person may decide
to implement fixnums with floating point representation.  The results will
be mathematically correct for addition, subtraction, and multiplication
if the fixnums are kept to fewer than 53 bits of precision (for doubles).
There will be no `rounding error' whatsoever.  (Division is a different story,
but that is an issue with integers, not with the floating point representation.)

> Calling floating-point "approximate" is a way of hinting to the naive
> user that the answers may not be quite right.  And numerical analysts
> can easily come up with examples where the answers are grossly,
> misleadingly inaccurate.

Right.  But it tends to mislead naive users into thinking there is something
squirrelly about floating point numbers.  The numbers are fine, the operations
are squirrelly.

> To have approximate values that are really logically consistent, we's
> have to use somoething like interval arithmetic, in which the
> calculation provides lower and upper bounds for the answer.  Then is
> come calculation produces and answer x like 1e100, you's know the
> precision.  Is x 1e100 plus-or-minus 1, or is x 1e100 plus-or-minus
> 1e200?

Or use a distribution function rather than a number.

--
~jrm