[racket] Ad-hoc polymorphism in Typed Racket

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 15 08:47:12 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Noel Welsh <noelwelsh at gmail.com> wrote:
> So this isn't really ad-hoc, is it? I can't extend the type in another
> module (typically done with structure properties in Racket). Anyway, a
> union type will do for me, for now.

It's ad-hoc for me, but not for thee.  :)

We have a story for ad-hoc polymorphism involving `case->', but that's
fixed rather than user-extensible.  The kind of extensible ad-hoc
polymorphism that struct properties provide (and that is provided by
typeclasses in Haskell) is not currently supported in Typed Racket --
I expect that figuring out the right type system for struct properties
will require new research.