[racket] tests/eli-tester feedback

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Feb 14 20:39:29 EST 2011

30 minutes ago, Robby Findler wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> > Ah -- I should have remembered that point.  Yes, I meant that it
> > is bound.  I should have also said that `true' is a bad name for
> > this reason, in the same way that `->' is (I'd prefer it over
> > `=>').
>
> FWIW, existing convention in Scheme literature for "evaluates to" is
> already "=>" so, in my mind, we lucked on out on this one. :)

(I probably have baggage coming from a place where evaluation is
almost always a single lined arrow.)

> > BTW, this leads to another requirement -- the "namespace
> > pollution" should be minimal since you don't want code to change
> > (as in `true' getting some strange value for tests) because you
> > use tests.
>
> Yes!
>
> > In any case, if this is a sane approach, then maybe it can be used
> > for the multiple values and the exceptions case too.  Something
> > like this:
> >
> >  (test E1 => true-result
> >        E2 => (values-result 1 2)
> >        E3 => (raised-result 666))
>
> I prefer to not have true-result and just deal with the (and E1 #t)
> => #t or add an =/=> arrow.

I *really* don't want to force the `(and E #t) => #t' thing.

> As for multiple values, I think that => should deal with that
> already.  Ie these should all be passing tests:
>
>   (test 1 => 1)
>   (test (values 1 2 3) => (values 1 2 3))
>
> and this should be a failing test (not a runtime error (necc)):
>
>   (test (values 1 2) => (values 1 2 3))

OK, I can buy that.

> For raised-result, I think that's uncommon enough that writing
>
>   (test (with-handlers ((values values)) E3) => 666)
>
> is just fine.

That's also an issue, since if you really want a complete version,
then you should catch only non-exceptions, and avoid confusing results
from raised results, so it's more like

  (test (with-handlers ([(negate exn?) (lambda (x) (list x))]) E #f)
        => (list 666))

and IMO that's definitely enough non-trivial boilerplate that
justifies some abstraction -- even if it's rare.

So, maybe go back to what it does now, only use a different arrow for
those cases?  Something like `=>' being the simple thing, `==>' (or
`*=>') becomes the version that catches runtime errors and other
raised values (on both sides)?  (Having a `===>' that also catches
syntax errors doesn't feel right here.)

> I take my cue here from what I see as the essence of the design of
> your test library, namely its minimality (I also really like this
> idea).
>
> I think adding extra arrows (or having support for defining them) to
> capture things like state initialization (aka "setup" and
> "teardown") and catching IO is the right way to go. And if these
> arrows always have the form "=something=>" (replacing something),
> then they will be iconic and easy to look up if the name is not
> enough to be able to guess.

Yeah, different arrows are very likely to be in.  I already have that,
with things like

  (test E => 123 =outputs> "foo")

IOW, the arrows can even compose.  But it's difficult to write new
arrows, while write a new kind of a `*-result' would be generally
easier.

So I guess that this is a sign that more thinking is needed.

(BTW, none of this is doing any kind of setup/teardown -- that's left
for plain racket code.)