[racket] Making animations in racket (or, why racket is hard to transition to from scratch)

From: Yaron Minsky (yminsky at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 6 22:36:04 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu>wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Yaron Minsky wrote:
>
> > it should be to build satisfying video games are really worth fixing.
>
> Yes they are! Any helpful proposals are appreciated and have been acted on
> in the past.

Indeed.  The Racket team has been very interested and responsive, which is
why I keep on giving feedback.

> (Perhaps I should start playing Scratch and Alice :-) )

No joke.  I haven't touched Alice, but there is something really appealing
about the ease of getting started in Scratch.  My son is deeply into it, and
I think its pedagogically useful, despite the painfully low abstraction
ceiling.  And the integration with the website is a nice touch.  At least
some kids find the attention they get from other kids online to be a real
motivator.

> >  The key thing that I like pedagogically about the big-bang is the way it
> makes the kid think explicitly about how they're modeling the state of the
> game.
>
> Yeap, that's how you hook it up to math: playful explicit state.

That's what I'm looking for.  It's already given me a good excuse to talk
about various interesting mathematical ideas.  It hasn't caught fire with
him yet, but I expect it will.