[racket] Multiple return values

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Dec 16 07:22:41 EST 2011

Zayr Okale wrote at 12/16/2011 06:52 AM:
> In the simplest cases in CL I can ignore extra values for free
> (without extra wrappers or any other code clutter). In Racket I
> cannot, and this is what prompted my question: why not do it the CL way?

An ignored value of a multiple-value return could be a bug, rather than
the intention of the programmer.  How can the compiler tell the
difference?  How can someone reading the code later.

I am glad that Racket considers an ignored multiple-value return value
to be a bug.

A different question is whether an ignored single-value return value
should be considered a bug.  Currently it is not, and a lot of code has
been written assuming that it is not.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/