[racket] Typed Racket error (exporting a struct containing a hash table)

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 10 18:43:14 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Jeremiah Willcock <jewillco at osl.iu.edu> wrote:
> When I run the following program:
>
> #lang typed/racket
> (struct: A ((f : (HashTable Any Any))))
> (provide (all-defined-out))
>
> I get the error message:
>
> racket-Linux-install/lib/racket/collects/racket/contract/private/hash.rkt:57:0:
> hash/c: expected either a flat or chaperone contract for the domain, got Any
>
> "Check Syntax" does not produce any errors, and highlights the program
> correctly.  My "About DrRacket..." version string is "Welcome to DrRacket,
> version 5.2.0.5--2011-06-21(-/f), english" (from the Git repository as of
> Dec. 6, 2011).  The "provide" form is necessary for the program to fail. I
> would appreciate any help you might be able to give.

The problem is in the `Any' contract.  The implementation of `Any'
can't be used as the contract for hashtable keys.

I'll fix this so that it works for this program, but you won't be able
to, in general, define a `HashTable' with key type `Any' in Typed
Racket and insert higher-order values as keys.

To work around this for the moment, use a more specific contract than
`Any' on the keys.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu