[racket] Planet Packages

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Wed Aug 24 20:59:38 EDT 2011

One thing to keep in mind: the bug reports on the PLaneT site are not
necessarily the de facto way to submit bug reports for the package.  The
author of the package might not even be aware of them, or may have
forgotten.

I think the thing to do is to contact the author and ask if you can
help, or, if s/he is not planning on updating the package, whether s/he
would mind if you released a modified version of the package.

I did this recently with the original developers of some popular
portable Scheme packages that I want to package in a more
Racket-idiomatic way.  They gave their blessing.  When I release the
packages, I'll put the familiar name of the original author in the
package name, so that the package is named something like
"neil/janesmith-coolstuff" rather than "neil/coolstuff".

Of course, as your request implies, if it has an open source license or
is public domain, nothing is preventing you from re-releasing yourself,
but that's not necessarily the most neighborly or effective way.  So
trying to discuss with the author is best, IMHO.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/