[racket] Racket in the large

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryan at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 21 16:21:02 EDT 2011

On 08/20/2011 09:15 PM, gonzalo diethelm wrote:
> [...]
>
> 6. I think there is one thing missing in Racket, and this was also
> pointed out during the discussion: database drivers for major DBMSs
> (I would say at least Oracle, DB2 and SQL Server on the commercial
> front, and PostgreSQL, SQLite and MySQL on the open source front).

My database package (ryanc/db) works for PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite
directly and Oracle and DB2 via ODBC. It should work with SQL Server
also, but I haven't tested that configuration.

Docs are here:
http://planet.racket-lang.org/package-source/ryanc/db.plt/1/4/planet-docs/db/index.html

 > In addition to that, I think Racket would be greatly enhanced by a
> single relational data access layer that would hide the differences
> between specific RDBMSs and facilitate switching from one to another.
> (Note: I am not trying to dictate anything about Racket, just voicing
> my opinion).

There are many things you might mean by that (ORMs,
relational-algebra-to-SQL compilers, etc). The concerns that Sigrid
raised make me think that hiding *all* the differences is a hopeless
task, but maybe something with a narrower focus could be useful. Are
there any existing frameworks that accomplish what you have in mind?

Ryan

Posted on the users mailing list.