[racket] Racket in the large

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Sat Aug 20 07:55:32 EDT 2011

This reminds me of a project I once, some 20 or more years ago, did for
converting SPSS system files from CDC6400 and CDC205 to SPSS system files to
IBM9000. Unfortunately CDC has gone down shortly after. Different word size,
different character encoding etc. Typically these system files were stored
on magnetic tape, with or without labels. I designed a system for the
conversion in natural language both for interpreting the labels and the data
(may be interspersed with some pseudo code). The task to implement my design
was given to a colleague who was confined to Cobol. The consequence was that
I myself had to provide some code for binary reading of magnetic tapes and
their labels (6 bit encoding to 8 bit encoding) and for the conversion of
alphanumerical and numerical data from CDC to IBM EBCDIC. In the end it
appeared to work very well. Many data that otherwise would have been lost,
were recovered.

This I mention in order to show that good understanding of the required
processes is more important than the choice of the language, although
cooperation between two or more languages may require additional interfaces.

It remains a fact that using a LISP like language, in particular Racket, can
reduce the time for development by at least a factor of 10. Four factors are
important here:

1: The foreign interface of Racket gives full access to all alien formats of
data.

2: Scheme, especially Racket, provides a very reliable representation of
data. Also it provides very high hygiene.

3: Most important: Racket allows a very quick implementation of algorithms
based on data structure (see HtDP)

4: Although PLT Racket does (not yet) claim to include a highly optimizing
compiler, nowadays hardware allows me to use DrRacket to make computations
that (for reason of time and/or memory) could not be made on supercomputers
dating from 20 years ago. Even on the simple laptop I am using to send this
email, I can do much more complicated computations than on a machine that 20
years ago was called a supercomputer.

Nowadays supercomputers may include thousands of processors, usually each
processor having its own memory and interconnected by fast interconnection
network. I have hardly seen any machines with many processors sharing one
single space of memory. Probably because of racing conditions.

I sometimes have dreamt of a multiprocessor machine with one unified memory,
possibly with addition of private memories for mutable data. When
disallowing mutation on memory shared by multiple processors, there could be
a good chance to develop multiprocessor machines running parts of a Racket
program in parallel without requiring the user to specify which can and
which cannot be done concurrently. For example you can imagine a Racket that
computes the arguments of an application in parallel. For a single
invocation of a procedure this does do not much, but think of arguments that
themselves may call functions of arguments that can be computed
concurrently.

Kind regards, Jos

  _____