[racket] try/catch/finally idiom in Racket

From: Zack Galler (lzgaller at optonline.net)
Date: Wed Aug 10 17:49:10 EDT 2011

Sam Phillips <samdphillips at ...> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I understand using call-with-exception-handler/with-handlers/etc. to
> catch exceptions in a block of code, but I'm at a loss to what the best
> way to do a "finally" or cleanup action after a block of code.  My
> intuition is to use dynamic-wind, but I figure there may be a better way
> that I just cannot locate in the manual.
>
> Is there a way to do this that I just cannot find?
>
> Cheers,
> Sam

Sam

Here's an implementation of the finally idiom.

Each line obtains the current continuation, stores it in 'out', then executes
buggy code implemented as (myerror n)

The handler-expression then invokes the continuation to continue evaluating  the
remaining lines.

R./
Zack

define (myerror n)
  (raise (exn:fail (format "threw error ~A\n" n) (current-continuation-marks))))

(let ((out #f))
  (with-handlers ([exn:fail? (lambda (exn) (printf "~A\n" (exn-message exn))
(out))])
    (let/cc k (set! out k) (myerror 1))
    (let/cc k (set! out k) (myerror 2))
    (let/cc k (set! out k) (myerror 3))