[racket] require url?

From: Eric Tanter (etanter at dcc.uchile.cl)
Date: Fri Apr 8 12:51:10 EDT 2011

> Could be useful.  You'd have to use caution in what URLs you reference, since it's pretty much executing arbitrary code.  And, unless you were always on a trusted network including trusted DNS, you'd want to use HTTPS and a trusted CA list.  At that point, it becomes less lightweight.

True, the whole security concern complicates matters. But in the simple cases I have (teaching purposes, URL local to the CS dept, etc.) that's no more worrying than posting a rkt file on a forum and ask students to download it and require it. But that would be simpler, and would allow for posting updates "transparently".

>> I know that the best option is a planet package, but that's a bit heavyweight for my current needs.
>
> Would be good to have PLaneT support multiple repositories, such as organization- and project-specific ones.

+1!!

-- Éric

Posted on the users mailing list.