[racket] TR error message

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 21 23:04:04 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2010, at 9:01 PM, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:
>
>> If so why are many of the combinations missing?
>
> Because this is work in progress to support typed-based optimizations. Roughly speaking, with types TR can macro-generate code that exploits Racket's specialized primitives to an extent that eliminates a large amount of overhead -- for certain numeric programs.

Right - all of those different cases inform the optimizer of different
properties.

> Problem is that it may require the programmer to work a bit harder to find the right entry point into the numeric hierarchy. I experienced this recently, too.

The additional cases for optimization never make it harder for your
program to typecheck.  In the example Matthias had, it wouldn't have
worked at all without the new cases the Vincent added.

As for the size of the error message, we're still trying to figure out
what the right balance between giving the programmer the real
information and avoiding overwhelming her.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.