[racket] News flash! Racket once again a legal choice for developing iPhone apps!

From: YC (yinso.chen at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 17:30:58 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Jens Axel Søgaard <jensaxel at soegaard.net>wrote:

> 2010/9/15 YC <yinso.chen at gmail.com>:
>
> > ARM processor support
>
> This ought to be supported:
>    http://groups.google.com/group/plt-scheme/msg/8b51211f8a6a88ca

Great!

> > limited memory usage
>
> This is a biggie, but memory size will grow fast enough
> that if it is a problem, it will disappear with time.

This is true in the grand scheme of things, however, would that mean racket
is out for consideration *until* mobile environments catch up to the memory
usage?  That might mean limited adoptions.

> > Objective-C/Cocoa interface
>
> There is a FFI ready:
>
> http://docs.racket-lang.org/foreign/Objective-C_FFI.html

Excellent!

> Compilation to a "single" exe (zipped structure appears to be fine) - or
> at
> > least compile all planet packages along with the exe so it can be shipped
> > together without going through planet
>
> The PLaneT dance might be impractical, but hardly a show stopper?

Since I've invested a ton of time in creating reusable planet packages it's
a pretty big deal to me ;)  Does mzc/racket manage translating planet
packages into local dlls?

> However there is something to think about regarding shared and static
> C libraries.

What types of issues are you seeing here?

Cheers,
yc