[racket] Looking for feedback on code style

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 13 15:43:32 EDT 2010

On Sep 13, 2010, at 3:07 PM, David Van Horn wrote:

>> In fact, ANY method to do this (even with a vector) takes Omega(n log n)
>> time. It needs to be able to produce any of n! different answers, so it
>> needs to make at least log(n!) decisions, which is Theta(n log n).
>> Otherwise there wouldn't be enough leaves on the decision tree.
>
> Doesn't it make n decisions?  1 decision for each element (the decision being, where does the element go in the shuffled list)?

Each of these is an n-way decision, which takes log(n) bits to specify.  Any algorithm that solves this problem MUST generate at least n log(n) random bits of information, and therefore MUST take at least n log(n) time (ignoring parallelism).

Ryan Culpeper points out:
> I think the discrepancy comes from the fact that each of those decisions takes O(log n) bits, but we customarily pretend that "indexes" are O(1).

Exactly.  As long as your n fits into a machine word, and you have at least n cells of truly-random-access memory, you can treat array indexing and random-number-generation as taking O(1) time.

> Is this right? Does complexity analysis have a notation for distinguishing "true" complexity from "for up to k bits" complexity?

Not exactly a "notation" AFAIK, but people do routinely talk about whether the computational model allows bit operations in O(1) time, or integer operations in O(1) time, or whatever.

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.