[racket] Looking for feedback on code style

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 9 12:45:18 EDT 2010

On 9/9/10 12:09 PM, Phil Bewig wrote:
> I did treaps, too: http://programmingpraxis.com/2009/06/26/treaps/.  And
> I use them all the time, including where most people probably use hash
> tables, because so often you need the keys in order somewhere in your
> program.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said "no one"; I should have said "almost no
one". I have seen references to it in various code bases. But it isn't
the first thing that comes to most people's minds.

Your hints, and the solutions provided, use rotations, which is the way
the original Aragon-Seidel paper presented the material. (Aragon and I
were fellow grad students.) The split-join implementation of Blelloch
and Reid-Miller [SPAA 1998] is better suited to a purely functional
implementation and results in cleaner, shorter code -- simple enough
that I can use it as enrichment material for a first-year class, and
present it in a single tutorial session. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.