[racket] a small programming exercise

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 14 12:36:44 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> 2. But could DrRacket execute RUN by
>
>  -- spawning a process that performs the compilation of the def window
>  -- printing the repl prompt and allowing users to type
>  -- and inserting results (if any) as they become available from the separate process
>
> If the user happens to enter the REPL text before the separate thread terminates, it would have to wait. (This sounds like a future.)
>
> The question is whether this changes the perception. -- Matthias

This sounds like an interesting idea to me. DrRacket can make you wait
when you hit "return" in the REPL instead of making you wait for the
compilation/execution to finish before allowing you to hit return.

There are already two (racket) threads going on here so it is just a
question of being more sophisticated in the synchronization between
them.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.