[racket] large raco parallel build takes down computer?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Thu Oct 14 05:06:31 EDT 2010

Has anyone seen recent "raco setup" parallel builds take down a Linux
machine?  Just wondering, for when I try to debug a problem I'm seeing.

The last day, I've been moving a large app from 4.2.5 to 5.0.1, and on
two occasions, clean builds have mostly locked up my 2-core 32-bit X86
Linux workstation, to the point that I have to reboot.

It appears that perhaps the scheduler is starving other processes,
including X, in favor of giving all cores almost fully to "raco setup".
Or, perhaps "raco setup" has somehow exhausted the RAM (this machine
does not use swap space) and for some unknown reason is not getting
OOM-killed.

I don't have time to debug this right now, so I temporarily made the
build process always leave a free CPU core, which has worked on two
clean builds thus far, using only 1/3 of the available RAM.  (Note: The
earlier, system-crashing builds had build errors from code that I later
fixed, so I suppose it's possible that "raco setup" used a lot more
memory because of the errors.)

LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/usr/lib/xxx' PLTCOLLECTS='/some/dir/collects:'
/usr/local/plt-5.0.1/bin/racocgc setup --workers `racket -e "(require
racket/future) (max 1 (- (processor-count) 1))"` -D  -l foo bar baz

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/