[racket] Servlets and forms

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 9 18:12:36 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Markku Rontu <markku.rontu at iki.fi> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been experimenting with the web servlets lately and I'm not sure how I
> should be handling forms. The documentation guides me to use formlets
> instead of bindings but the library seems rather incomplete. I mean based on
> the source it seems to be missing radio buttons and files, for example. Also

The next release has support for almost all the form elements:

> the documentation seems to refer mostly to an older version with
> input-string etc. Using bindings is not a problem itself, it's what I'm used
> to in Java-land but then again I have to build a complete framework on top
> of it to handle everything properly.

I suspect most people using bindings directly.

> I managed to get simple formlets working as well as the direct bindings but
> where am I supposed to do validation? Guess I do need to build the framework
> myself?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If your application has
special requirements on input, then you'll need to check it. Probably
on the request handler for the form action.

> If somebody has some useful pointers or best practices, I'd appreciate it.
> Or is there some framework I'm missing? What's in it for the formlets in the
> future? Where is the active development now?

I'm interested in hearing what is missing from the formlets library.
I'm also interested in a reusable validation layer, but I haven't come
up with a good design yet, so there's nothing in the distribution.