[racket] Exploratory programming?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Nov 30 13:12:10 EST 2010

Richard Lawrence wrote at 11/30/2010 11:55 AM:
> [1] I have so far mostly stayed away from DrRacket, because I know Emacs well and haven't felt the desire or need so far to learn another environment.  Is that my problem?  Does DrRacket support the kind of bottom-up exploration in the documentation that I'm trying to describe?

I tell people to spend time trying out DrRacket, even if they are
long-time Emacs power-users like me.

DrRacket won't give you quite as good an experience in documentation and
system code exploration as the Smalltalk-80 system browser, IMHO, but
the navigability from code to docs in a Web browser window is pretty
good.  You might find that features like Check Syntax are good for
exploring code, too.  DrRacket has a somewhat different take on the
REPL, in which it tolerates you experimenting interactively a little
while in a dirty REPL in the Interactions pane, but then it wants you to
get out of the mud and paste your resulting code into the Definitions
(file) pane, where you can hit Ctrl-T to evaluate the code in a fresh
environment.  Other than Check Syntax, DrRacket's other big feature that
can tempt Emacs devotees is the wonderful terrific Macro Stepper.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/