[racket] Plea for neologism (was: Re: letoverlambda)

From: Joe Marshall (jmarshall at alum.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 24 14:01:04 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Richard Lawrence
<richard.lawrence at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
> place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
> are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it."  (Brian W. Kernighan
> and P. J. Plauger in The Elements of Programming Style.) [1]
> [1] http://quotes.cat-v.org/programming

I've always hated this quote.  Debugging is simply not that hard, nor is
complexity that unmanageable.  This isn't to say that *needless* complexity
is fine, just that we all write code that is beyond our ability to completely
understand (or we wouldn't have bugs in the first place!).

Posted on the users mailing list.