[racket] Plea for neologism (was: Re: letoverlambda)

From: Joe Marshall (jmarshall at alum.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 24 14:01:04 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Richard Lawrence
<richard.lawrence at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
> place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
> are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it."  (Brian W. Kernighan
> and P. J. Plauger in The Elements of Programming Style.) [1]
>
> [1] http://quotes.cat-v.org/programming

I've always hated this quote.  Debugging is simply not that hard, nor is
complexity that unmanageable.  This isn't to say that *needless* complexity
is fine, just that we all write code that is beyond our ability to completely
understand (or we wouldn't have bugs in the first place!).
--
~jrm