[racket] Lisp game development on Reddit

From: Everett Morse (webj2 at unoc.net)
Date: Tue Nov 9 13:45:04 EST 2010

I made the example from the free chapter (ch 8, the Hunt the Wumpus
game) work in Racket last week by writing macros and function
definitions to get the LISP code running under Racket with minimal
modifications.  I haven't gotten to rewriting it in Universe yet, but I
did wonder if it would have been an easier endeavor (since I didn't know
much about LISP, so I spent lots of time hunting down nil vs false
errors and similar things).  Still, I thought it was cool to have a
partial LISP->Racket environment working.

I definitely agree that this kind of thing can be helpful for
encouraging Racket game development.  I also note that the games in the
Collects help with this too, as I poked around in the Cat game once to
learn h2dp/world and submitted a small patch for it while I was at it.

BTW, what level of game are we talking about? Once we try to get to
commercial 3D games, we'll meet resistance on the performance side.
Someone I know once stated a "master plan" to get Racket up to handling
this.  The plan includes the following:
- compiler optimizations, including Blake and Jay's demodularizar +
full-program optimization and use of Matt Might's CFA techniques.
- improvements to the garbage collector (can't have the game taking long
pauses for this, so an incremental gc would be better)
- possibly connecting to OpenCL to run a physics engine
- anything that gives improved graphics, physics, AI, and computation
libraries
- Typed Racket, to produce faster code without corrupting the
implementation with unsafe calls everywhere

I'm watching this too, because I'd much rather use Racket in a
professional setting than several other languages I can think of ...

Thanks,
-Everett