[racket] new GUI and drawing libraries in v5.0.99.1

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 7 08:31:37 EST 2010

At Sun, 07 Nov 2010 14:22:53 +0100, Jakub Piotr Cłapa wrote:
> On 05.11.10 23:01, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> > Racket can build and install on Unix systems without Gtk libraries,
> > but you must install Gtk to run programs that use the Racket GUI
> > library; modern distributions of Unix variants include Gtk, so that's
> > unlikely to be a problem. When you build Racket from source on Windows
> > or Mac OS X, Pango and Cairo libraries are automatically downloaded
> > and installed along with the main Racket binaries (i.e., not
> > system-wide). Along similar lines, stand-alone GUI executables for
> > Unix/X platforms rely on a system installation of Gtk, while packaging
> > a stand-alone GUI application for Windows or Mac OS X includes the
> > necessary libraries in the package.
> I downloaded Racket v5.0.99.1 for OS X Intel and I cannot find the
> required libraries in the package:
> [jpc at jpc Racket v5.0.99.1] ls -lR|grep pixman
> [jpc at jpc Racket v5.0.99.1]
> Have I missed something?

It looks like the nightly-build installers are still missing libraries
for Windows and Mac OS X. We'll fix that.

For now, you could download the libraries from

and drop them in the "lib" subdirectory of your Racket installation.
You'll have to unpack "PSMTabBarControl.tgz" in place.

Windows users can get

to drop into "lib". Not all of those files are needed (e.g., you could
skip "libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll") but it's probably simplest to just get
them all.

Posted on the users mailing list.