[racket] Math Guidance

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 3 23:41:27 EDT 2010

People have replied to the more general question and there is not much more to add.

As for HtDP and math:  the generative recursion part contains a number of math-y examples because generative recursion is highly useful there and because -- in principle -- the kind of kids who go thru this material should have seen or should see these examples. It's also the last remnant of constraints at Rice on the introductory programming course -- show them some of the mathematical algorithms they will need to understand. CS was created out of applied math and adaptive integration, Gaussian elimination, and things like that belongs into the basic tool box of students. Unlike Java or C++ courses, we easily had the time to cover these and some more.

The conclusion is that you can safely skip most of these sections in part V and still safely make it thru the rest of the book.

Good luck -- Matthias

p.s. And btw, what you did learn in parts I through IV is MATH, but you obviously learned it in a way that didn't scare you. So perhaps it is really more of a question that when you recognize that you're doing math, you're scared but when you think you're not doing math, you're fine. Don't worry, we do this to kids too and as Neil says these 12-year olds are such sponges, they are asking for n-ary functions, and sines and cosines, and geometric concepts -- just to make their games look cooler. What they don't know is that they are asking for more math.