[plt-scheme] Teaching Scheme

From: Samuel Williams (space.ship.traveller at gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 3 22:49:10 EDT 2010

Dear Karl,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

I think that it is certainly important to consider the algorithmic content of a program. However, its also important to keep in mind that people are often dealing with highly complex input and output requirements, which in many real world scenarios are the dominant concern of a program.

I think what you've said is good, but it might be worthwhile pointing out that what constitutes a good programmer isn't always clear cut. However, in a certain sense, one can be a good programmer without knowing any language - or one can be a bad programmer and know all languages (poorly). Maybe it is useful to standardize the definition of what it means to be a good programmer, but I wonder if this is really possible.

Ultimately languages are just tools - a means to an end - and they are all bound by turning completeness - some are just more expressive and/or concise than others when it comes to certain problem domains. They also facilitate different ways of thinking about a problem - and in the case of Scheme this might be a really important point.

Ethics in computer science is something which is often not considered in computer science education. Thanks for providing that interesting link.

Kind regards,
Samuel