[plt-scheme] Teaching Scheme

From: Doug Williams (m.douglas.williams at gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 3 10:31:54 EDT 2010

I just want to make sure students (and therefore my future software
developers) understand why languages like FORTRAN and C (as examples) have
the semantics that they have, why languages like LISP (or Scheme) and Python
(as examples) have the semantics they have, and why those semantics are
different. I think it is rather interesting that FORTRAN and LISP (in its
various flavors) as two of the earliest languages are still the two
exemplars of the extremes. [As an American, maybe I should call FORTRAN a
'conservative or republican' language and LISP as a 'liberal or democratic'
language. I can't help but notice that, in that case, the liberal languages
seem to be more factionalized than the conservative ones.] More 'modern'
languages seem to fill in between them.