[plt-scheme] Teaching Scheme

From: Doug Williams (m.douglas.williams at gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 3 09:42:46 EDT 2010

As pointed out in your paper, the use of terms compiled versus interpreted
is a long-standing, high-level generalization of programming languages.
There are languages like FORTRAN and C that essentially go out of their way
to bind things early specifically so they can be efficiently converted into
machine language - i.e., compiled. Other languages like LISP (or Scheme) and
Python go out of their way to delay binding for flexibility - which
confounds efficient compilation to an extent. [And, yes the language
designers often had exactly those distinctions in mind in designing specific
languages - particularly those on the compiled side.] I personally find the
distinction useful and definitely not nonsensical. I would say ignoring the
conventional terminology is as bad as literally embracing them. Just my 2
cents.