[plt-scheme] Are booleans s-expressions?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 19 14:16:00 EDT 2010

On Mar 19, 2010, at 10:28 AM, David Van Horn wrote:

>> No. Instead we don't teach about ' in the way older Lispers did :-)
>
> So do you just not teach quote at all?  (I've been tempted to cut
> quote out altogether).
>
> If you do teach it, what do you say quote does?  I would say it's a
> convenient notation for S-expressions, but now I'd have to say it's
> a convenient notation for S-expressions without Booleans.

You want to teach quote and quasiquote so that students get to see
some of the features that have made Lisp-y languages so much more
powerful than some of the modern scripting languages for over 50
years. But you need to adapt it and not teach it in the raw natural
state. -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.