[plt-scheme] Re: question of a casual drscheme (v. 424) user

From: Benjamin L. Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 17 12:21:43 EDT 2010

As mentioned in "[plt-scheme] Problems with eval" (see
http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2008-July/025698.html,
dated "Thu Jul 3 14:34:04 EDT 2008," by Robby Findler), in the following
example, "[w]ithout the second line, the third won't work, but with it,
it does":

  #lang scheme
  (namespace-require 'scheme/base)
  (eval '((lambda (x) x) 1))

However, the second line is not explicitly mentioned in the referenced
section of the Guide (http://docs.plt-scheme.org/guide/eval.html).

It might be useful to add it to that section.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

[1] Findler, Robby. "[plt-scheme] Problems with eval." Online
posting. <http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2008-July/025698.html>.

Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> writes:

> Sometime after that thread, we added a section to the Guide:
>
>  http://docs.plt-scheme.org/guide/eval.html
>
> At Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:17:57 +0000, Noel Welsh wrote:
>> This kind of question has come up a fair bit recently, so I'm a bit
>> burned out answering it. Here is another thread that discusses the
>> issue in reasonable detail:
>>
>> http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2008-July/025694.html
>>
>> HTH,
>> N.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Johannes Brauer <brauer at nordakademie.de>
>> wrote:
>> >  Hi,
>> > if I put
>> >
>> > #lang scheme
>> > (define f (list + 3 4))
>> > (eval f)
>> >
>> > in the definition pane of DrScheme I get in the following error
>> > message in the interaction pane:
>> > compile: bad syntax; function application is not allowed, because no #
>> > %app syntax transformer is bound in: (#<procedure:+> 3 4)

http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^