[plt-scheme] Re: computational expressions

From: Jake Swenson (cipherzero at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 17 01:46:21 EDT 2010

You're correct, you cannot simply thread a function into a computational
expression.
As you mentioned, the expansion only happens with the known syntatic forms.
One obvious one is return which gets desugared to a call to the Return method
on the builder object.

However, you could do:

let myReturn x = return x;;
parse { let! t = token
        return! myReturn t }

(note: return! gets transformed into a call to ReturnFrom on the builder
object)

but this is quite ugly IMO.

More interesting is that you could use inheritance to extend the expression
builder.
For example:

let bind m f = f (m ())
let return' v = fun () -> v

type ParserBuilder() =
    member this.Bind(m,f) = bind m f
    abstract member Return : int -> (unit -> int)
    default this.Return(x) = return' x

let parse = ParserBuilder()

let fx =
    parse { let! t = return' 4
            return t}

printfn "%i" (fx())

let myReturn x = return' (4*x)

type MyParserBuilder() =
    inherit ParserBuilder()
    override this.Return(x) = myReturn x

let myParse = MyParserBuilder()

let myfx =
    myParse { let! t = return' 4
              return t}

printfn "%i" (myfx())

which gets you almost the same abstraction, right?

--
Jake