[plt-scheme] Examples of Scheme (or Lisp) in real-world

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 9 17:00:16 EST 2010

PS: At some level, if you are trying to play the game of having to
convince your students, you've lost the battle.  Your focus should be
on trying to not lose the war also.  I find that there is no value in
being defensive.  Is your curriculum engaging?  Is it hard?  And if
so, is this what your students are cut out for?

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Ciprian Dorin, Craciun
<ciprian.craciun at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu> wrote:
>> You might find the links in the README for my course last fall worth
>> providing to your students:
>>
>> http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs019/2009/readme
>>
>> Shriram
>

>    Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately there is a little problem
> with this... I've tried that three weeks ago... No change... :) :) :)
>
>    Below is the contents of the first section of my first laboratory
> (the links are missing from the text as I've copy pasted, but at the
> end I've also put my lab link). Indeed what you say there fits
> perfectly as a case pro functional programming (pro Lisp).
> Unfortunately we need a lot of good will from our students to actually
> read and understand all these ideas. (Maybe a quiz from all those good
> essays... :) :) )
>
>    Thanks again,
>    Ciprian.
>

> ~~~~
> Optional (but highly recommended) reading
>
> The following essays are stolen from Shriram Krishnamurthi [ edited:
> here is the link to your readme ]:
>
>    * Beating the Averages, by Paul Graham;
>    * Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years, by Peter Norvig;
>    * The Perils of JavaSchools, by Joel Spolsky;
> ~~~~
> http://beta.wikiversity.org/wiki/Functional_programming_--_2009-2010_--_info.uvt.ro/Laboratory/Notes_1

Posted on the users mailing list.