[racket] Racket & Netbook

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 30 13:16:15 EDT 2010

I'm regularly using an HP mini-note. The nearly full size keyboard
makes a difference for me, as does the extra screen resolution, but it
is pricy for a netbook.

It can only drive an external display at 640x480, tho. The ubuntu
netbook remix does a nice job with the limited screen real estate, but
when you're running slideshow for a talk, you'll want to switch over
to something else because gracket doesn't seem to be telling the OS
the right things to get a full screen slide window (I recently
discovered it is possible to do this because the video player can do
it, but I didn't try to look into it to fix gracket, I'm sorry to
say.)

The battery is great. I've been using a 3 cell one (because it is
smaller) and it lasts plenty long for me on my commute every day.

The slowness of the processor is a real pain. I routinely run builds
from source, but I have to plan ahead for them. I see some slowness
like Neil describes, but picking the wrong font can have a big impact
on editing responsiveness. Generally, the crappier it looks, the
better the responsiveness....

Robby