[racket] current backtrace implications of JIT

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun Jun 27 23:07:16 EDT 2010

What effect does the JIT currently have on debugging backtraces?  Or,
how can one get some or all of the benefit of the JIT, but still
reliably get useful backtraces?

I see that DrScheme now has an option for disabling some JIT
optimizations.  Should I just do whatever that checkbox is doing?

Details on my particular system... A while ago, I had to disable the JIT
for a large system so that we could reliably get useful backtraces at
the time (i.e., not just our top-level entry point).  After some
performance testing with PLT 4.2.5 just now, I'm seeing the JIT give
performance gains of over 19x for some functions (at least, in contrived
tests with huge numbers of iterations).  So, we would *really* like to
be using the JIT, so long as we can keep our backtraces.  We have a
custom error escape handler, if that matters.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/