[racket] DrRacket, Emacs, REPL [was: Sending s-expr to repl]

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 24 11:06:08 EDT 2010

Take a look at Dracula, the ACL2 support from DrScheme. It implements exactly that behavior. (You may even wish to take a look at our How to prove curriculum addition to HtDP. We teach freshmen how to prove theorems about graphical games.)

Two points about it:

 1. in the presence of true effects (not counting infinite loops), this model doesn't really work
 2. and it is not a mid-point between the two extremes but a new, third point.

What my blog post omits is a research attempt to explore a true midpoint between the two. Before we started the drscheme project in 1995, I worked with Rene Rodriguez and Bruce Duba on a transparent REPL for Emacs. We implemented it and used it with our freshman course for at least two semesters. Here is how it worked:

 use an ordinary emacs interaction mode
 control emacs interactions via a dependency analysis
 if sending an s-expression were to violate a dependency, re-load the entire buffer (or a lot of it)
 for I/O, we had a separate buffer that could differentiate between committed and preliminary output

In the presence of HO and effectful computations, a dependency analysis is of course a conservative approximation. So this is highly approximate but for introductory classes it worked reasonably well.

We gave up on this effort because we didn't get this repl to work for experienced users, it didn't really cope well with effects, and the effort had to replicate a lot of the work of the underlying compiler (Chez Scheme) so we had no research benefit. The drscheme project gave us a chance to try an even more radical approach, and I think it has worked well for beginners.

To be honest, on and off I do think about a way to accommodate a Lisp-style repl or some flavor of it, but it sure isn't a high priority.

-- Matthias