[racket] iPhone

From: Jim Wise (jwise at draga.com)
Date: Fri Jun 18 14:22:49 EDT 2010

Karl Winterling <kwinterling at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Jim Wise <jwise at draga.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think the only real confusion comes in when you look at the iPhone and
>> think of it as a general-purpose computer -- an environment where you
>> are used to downloading your own software.  A better comparison is to a
>> game console like a Nintendo Wii or a Microsoft XBox, where it has
>> always been the case that only software sold under a license from the
>> console manufacturer was available.  In comparison, it's worth noting
>> that Sony experimented with allowing third-party OS software to run on
>> the PS3, and has since backed away from doing so.
>>

> *Yawn*
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxjpmc8ZIxM

The same is obviously true of the iPhone -- `jailbreak' kits are readily
available, and tend to be updated promptly when a new phone or OS
Version ships.

But we're discussing the terms of Apple's user agreement, not what's
technically achievable.

(There are lively homebrew communities for the Nintendo Wii and Sony PSP
as well, by the way.)

--
				Jim Wise
				jwise at draga.com