[racket] "The Disadvantages of High School Programming"

From: Isaac Raway (isaac.raway at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 8 17:25:27 EDT 2010

It seem that this might be an issue of the dichotomy between
vocational training in computer programming and true computer science.
Note that "computer programming" != "computer science". It's quite
possible to be a productive and successful programmer without having a
solid understanding of computer science.

I would tend to think (however obviously without any evidence) that
high school courses will be geared more towards the vocational side of
giving students basic programming capability in preparation not for
university courses but for community college Java classes that will
pump out another batch of programmers who don't really care about the
theory. I say this having attended those community college Java
classes and finding them extremely wanting, they were completely
useless to me. No where in that environment did I find any true
computer science, which I think has put me at a disadvantage
ultimately. The skillet I left with was approximately what I entered
with - innate problem solving ability and the possibly perverse
interest to read a technical manual without falling asleep.

I personally fully support the idea of introducing true computer
science at an early age. Had I been given that I think my own skills
would have developed a lot faster. With the environment I did have, a
lot of the real learning about more advanced theory has to happen when
I come across a need for it on the job. This isn't ideal.

However doing away with vocational computer programming training at
the high school level entirely probably isn't a good idea. Some are
drawn in by theory, some are drawn in by practice. Offering both is
the key.

IJR