[racket] Racket v5.0

From: Norman Gray (norman at astro.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 8 05:08:52 EDT 2010

Racketeers, greetings.

On 2010 Jun 7, at 19:44, Eli Barzilay wrote:

>> Is there a page somewhere where the motivations for changing name
>> are exposed? This is the #1 question that is going to appear once we
>> spread the word, so it would be nice to have a standard answer to
>> the question (and if it's written by Shriram, even better ;-)).
>
> There's a page ready for this: http://racket-lang.org/new-name.html

That's useful, thanks.  However:

  * It's not obviously findable from the front page (I spent five minutes trying various possible routes to it, knowing it was there), which means that it won't be found by people who want that information, but who haven't seen this message.

  * A useful addition to that page would be 'what do I have to do to make the transition from PLT Scheme to being a first-class Racket programmer?' (as opposed to working in some sort of legacy support mode).  From that page, the answer seems to be 'not very much', but if the transition is indeed as simple as: (1) edit '#lang scheme' to '#lang racket', (2) type 'racket' rather than 'mzscheme', (3) you're done; then it would be reassuring to make that wonderfully transparent (and well done).

As Nadeem Abdul Hamid mentioned later in this thread, having it temporarily on the front page might be useful, because at least to start with, most of the folk going to that page will be PLT schemers.  Perhaps put the link behind a picture of a grizzly old fart.

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk