[racket] syntax, differently

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sat Jul 31 11:51:29 EDT 2010

On Jul 31, Robby Findler wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Matthias Felleisen
> <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Shriram's proposal and a private conversation with Mike suggested
> > the following feature requests for the drracket teaching
> > languages:
> >
> > 1. Could drracket limit the width of programs in the teaching
> >    language world to 80 columns?
>
> This one seems doable (I'd probably make the text turn red when it
> passes the 80th column or somethign instead of rejecting
> keystrokes).

Ha!  Back in Cornell I had a "DrSwindle" thing, which was a hack of
DrScheme that was needed since it was in the pre-module-days and
swindle was changing too much fro DrScheme to work.  One feature that
I was sneaking in in addition to making it work with Swindle was an
80-character line limit, which I've always wanted.

So, it would be nice if there was a general option to turn this on,
not only for the student languages.

> > 2. Could drracket reindent all every time a programmer hits
> >    {return | run | submission server request }?
>
> I'd be worried about this that some edits one does (maybe opening a
> string?) would cause strange things to happen to the editor based on
> intermediate states of the program. [...]

(And from a non-teaching-language perspective, there are cases where
you want to change the indentation for some reason.  (*I* do that
too.))