[racket] Compiling Racket on Maemo 5

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Jul 14 13:19:36 EDT 2010

On Jul 13, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> The main obstacle was that operations like `raco make' and `raco
> setup' needed SHA-1 hashing from OpenSSL via the FFI.
>
> I've adjusted several things so that `make' and `make install' can
> work when the FFI is disabled:
>
>  * A new `file/sha1' library ports Eric Knauel's implementation of
>    SHA-1 to Racket.
>
>  * The `openssl/sha1' library falls back to `file/sha1' when the FFI
>    isn't supported or when OpenSSL isn't available.
> [...]
>
> Hashing by `file/sha1' is about 500 times as slow as OpenSSL
> hashing, but it should work well enough for `raco setup'.

Maybe it's better to organize things differently -- make `file/sha1'
provide the openssl functionality or the racket version (which will
move to a private subdirectory)?  This looks like a better layout
since it's easier to make it possible to remove openssl, and I think
that a `file/sha1' is more visible, so people are likely to use it
directly.