[plt-scheme] Teach Yourself Scheme

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Jan 21 13:40:29 EST 2010

On Jan 21, David Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 01:00:44PM -0500, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>
> >which I run from a terminal in a vnc session.  (When there's an
> >error, the sleep makes it more convenient to abort the loop, and
> >prevents retrying it too fast.)  It should be possible to just
> >start such a script in the background and logout.  Some shells will
> >warn you that you have some background process, but will still
> >logout when you try again immediately (that is, two logouts
> >commands without running something else between them).
>
> 'screen' is very helpful for this kind of thing.  It lets you detach
> and log out.  Plus you can log in, reattach and see what it is
> doing.  All without needing the overhead of an entire graphical
> session.

That won't help with X applications...

> Of course, keep in mind that I still do most of my programming in
> terminal windows, and rarely run drscheme.

In general I find vnc to be as convenient as screen is, except that I
get to run whatever I want instead of being limited to text
applications.  (For example, I use a lot of key combinations, and
getting that to work in a terminal is a disaster.)  In fact, I do all
of my work in a vnc session, even when I'm on the physical machine.