[plt-scheme] Re: Text-contents to a function variable

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 15 15:11:33 EST 2010

First, learn how to do this task with the GUI teachpack.  Learning how
to associate numbers with strings in the GUI teachpack will be far,
far easier than learning a whole new GUI toolkit.  I promise you.  The
larger GUI library is more flexible, but also much, much trickier.

Also, if you are doing this in the teachpack, I'm going to contradict
some of the earlier advice you got.  In this case, you probably *do*
want just one big conditional.  And of course the straightforward way
to construct this conditional is to create a data definition of
acceptable strings for your text field, and build your function for
turning strings into numbers using the template for this data
definition.

Carl Eastlund

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Avi <n4alpaca at gmail.com> wrote:
> What library are you using? I think that what you are using is more
> flexible, learning how to use it should not be a problem, in fact, I
> think it would be better if I did learn this.
>
> On Jan 15, 2:14 pm, Carl Eastlund <carl.eastl... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Aha!  I'm sorry.  You're using the GUI teachpack; I gave you an answer
>> for a completely different GUI library.  The bad news is that you
>> can't use my answer; the good news is that you don't need to learn all
>> the stuff I put in my answer.  I don't know an answer for the GUI
>> teachpack off the top of my head, but maybe someone who's more
>> familiar with it can give you a more appropriate answer.
>>
>> Carl Eastlund

Posted on the users mailing list.