[plt-scheme] Slow DrS on slow net

From: Jordan Johnson (jmj at fellowhuman.com)
Date: Thu Jan 14 19:22:52 EST 2010

Hi all,

I've noticed that on the machines at my school, DrScheme often takes
very long (as long as 30-40 sec) to return control to the user after
"Run" is clicked or an expression is entered in Interactions), and the
problem seems worse for larger programs or programs containing image
snips.

By default my school's machines (all running Vista, btw) save files to
a network drive, and my school's network is pretty slow.  Saving files
to the C: drive eliminates this problem.

So I'm wondering, what is DrScheme having to go to the disk/network
for, and are there any options we can set (in prefs, environment vars,
etc) to prevent the costly network accesses? (longer term, I'll be
talking with our net admin about ways to improve the situation...)

Best,
Jordan

Posted on the users mailing list.