[plt-scheme] Re: HTDP - evidently not for everyone.

From: Thomas Holubar (scheme at phirho.com)
Date: Thu Feb 11 18:25:22 EST 2010

On 11.02.2010 17:36, Richard Cleis wrote:

>> Let's go step by step:
>> We have a study that claims to be able to predict students' learning
>> success in a given environment.

> When I was an undergrad, many of us thought that introductory courses
> were partly used to predict whether we wanted to pursue a subject, and
> whether we were likely to succeed in that subject (which arguably
> requires 1).
>
> Was that not true (decades ago)? Is it true now? Is this discussion
> indicating that we don't want to waste resources on 1) or 2), so we
> need another way to predict?

My understanding is that we should invest resources in 1, 2 and 3
(that is: everybody in class). Not to predict success or whatever, but
to make a difference.

Selection may be demanded by management/administration and is therefore
a required side effect of some courses - but purpose? I believe that
only learning should ever be the purpose.

Regards,
Thomas

Posted on the users mailing list.