[plt-scheme] Re: HTDP - evidently not for everyone.

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Thu Feb 11 14:05:58 EST 2010

In the seventies and eighties I have seen enough students and graduates
doing research with statistical methods, extraction of predictors included.
I have no belief in such predictors, because they apply to groups (in this
discussion groups of students). In my opinion it is a mistake to apply such
predictors to individuals. If in his time there were predictors for succes
in a study of physics, Einstein probably would have failed the test. Why?
Because Einstein was far off the mean of the population on which the
predictors would have been built. For the same reason I do not believe in
psychological tests based on statistics when applied to individuals.
Predictors predict means when applied to groups comparable to the population
on which the predictors are based. Predictors are worthless when applied to
individuals.

This does not mean that investigation of teaching methods would be
worthless. The bright ones will pass anyway, the far below average ones will
fail anyway, but a well tested teaching method may help to increase the
number of successes in the group around the average. As groups of students
of subsequent generations probably have different properties, investigation
of the succes of teaching methods would have to be a continuous process (and
always would be slightly outdated)

MHO, Jos