[racket] setf in scheme

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Thu Dec 30 10:54:14 EST 2010

Razvan Rotaru wrote at 12/30/2010 10:34 AM:
> I was just wondering whether there is anything like setf in scheme.

If you mean like "set!" to accept place lvalues, SRFI-17 is one example:

http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-17/srfi-17.html

Implementing such a thing for a small, fixed set of places (like "car")
using only macros is easy.

If, however, you want it extensible to new setters, I think you'd end up
defining matching setting procedures and hanging them off the getter
procedures as (depending on what your Racket or Scheme version has)
symbol properties, record-type-as-procedure, or some similar feature.

Setters like this have sometimes seemed to me to provide a nice
linguistic symmetry, but at the same time, they are growing the language
quite a bit despite the appeal of simplicity.  In practice, I have never
wanted to have setters.  IMHO.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/